Hosea 6: A Call to Repentance

I know this is hard!  It is a difficult thing to keep revisiting the same cycles.  In our heads we may want to scream, “I GET IT!”  But God knows it isn’t that easy.  He has seen it play out time and time again, and really we are no different than the Israelites.  Different century, same stuff.  He loves us enough to reinforce the message….often.  To bring us to a point of wanting to learn the lesson early, rather than later.  Oh God, let us have ears to hear and eyes to see.



Read Hosea 6:1-3.  Things are looking up, right?  Could it be that they are starting to get it?  They are recognizing that God is the one who can restore them.  They are recognizing they need to get to know Him.

Read the remainder of Hosea 6:4-11.   Here we go again!

É       In verse 4, what is the Israelites love compared to?



A fleeting love.  A “love” to get what they want.  To avoid punishment.  But we all know this isn’t what God has in mind. Suffering can turn people to God, but not really change them.  We talked last week about trials in our lives that brought us to our knees.  We need to make sure it results in change, not just temporarily seeking relief and then forgetting God again once things turn around.  God desires for us to come to Him, but more than anything He desires love and lasting relationship.

I want to share verse 6 in a few different translations because I think this really gets to the point and is something we can reflect on:
NIV:  For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

New Living Translation: I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices.  I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings.

Message:  I’m after love that lasts, not more religion.  I want you to know God, not go to more prayer meetings.

É       What is your reaction to this verse?  How specifically does it speak to you?


In our study of Hosea chapter 2, we reflected on obedience and love when Hosea 2:16 said, “you will call me ‘my husband’ instead of ‘my master.”  God wants us.  All of us.  He wants us to turn everything over to him.  Yes, God wants us to be obedient.  But obedience without love is often fake.  We do something because we think we are supposed to and it feels unnatural, uncomfortable and like we are being a fake version of our true self.  Obedience is still good and better than doing nothing, but it is not the same as love.  I try very hard to “be good” and to “do the right things”, but when I pray for help really loving God, really loving my neighbors and seeing the world and people as God does, loving people as God does, my obedience is easier.  I am a long way from where I should be here, but I am clinging to those prayers and the hope that God will continue to transform my heart to a constant obedience out of love, not just duty.

Jennie Allen writes:
And then I saw God – the real God – and I saw the moment I would meet him.  He was on his throne with eyes fixed on me, questioning why I had sought my comfort more than him.  Why had I loved people more than him?  Why had I sat on every gift he had given me to make him known?  Because I cared more about being judged by everyone else but him. 5

Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  Seek the Kingdom, not the provision, and the provision will be the result.

This is big and feels like the essence of the book of Hosea to me.  God wants knowledge, love, relationship…not just going through the motions.  Not just doing “religious” stuff, even if it is good stuff.  It isn’t the same and doesn’t substitute for true relationship and love.  The “religious” things are often easy and we feel like we are doing our part…being good Christians.  But that is not what it is about.  Really reflect on this.  Let’s really examine how we spend our time and where our heart is.

É       Spend time asking God to show you where you may be going through the motions instead of engaging in true relationship.  Ask God to change your heart and give you a desire for relationship.





God, we know what is best for us and that is you.  Help us become obedient out of love.  We do studies like this because we desire to get there.  Help us really know and love you.  Please let it stick.  Please let it be more than morning dew that quickly dries up. 

Click here to go to the next section of the study.

No comments:

Post a Comment