Hosea 8: Israel Hravests the Whirlwind

Let’s go ahead and read the chapter (Hosea 8:1-14) and we’ll focus on a verse or two. 
More pending disaster for Israel.  It is like God is saying, 1…2….2-1/2….2-3/4….trying to give them every opportunity to do the right thing and turn back to Him. 

É       In verses 1-4, what are the reasons cited that punishment will come?


É       What is Israel’s response to God in verse 2?




Do we ever feel impending punishment for something we have done and try a quick, “but I acknowledge you….help me.  You are my God after all.”  Almost as if it is something God owes us.  There is no true repentance, just a plea for help to get us out of it.


É       According to verse 3 & 4 what are they doing while they are “crying out to God”?



According to verse 13 they are still offering sacrifices as gifts to God.  But it is knowledge, relationship, love, reliance…this is what is required, not superficial acknowledgment and going through the “religious” motions.  We can’t fool ourselves into thinking we are pleasing God just by doing things like church, church activities, Bible studies, etc. 

Jennie Allen writes:

God is home to us.  He is where we were made to be.  He is what we were made for.  We just forget all that while we are trying to be good and independent. Pretending to be good halts God’s movement in our life.  Legalism or religion helps us feel better about ourselves, puffs us up, gives us the posture to be critical and judgmental and prideful. 7


É       Look at verse 12.  The New Living Translation says, “Even though I gave them all my laws, they act as if those laws don’t apply to them.”  What do you think this means?




How often we see people (ourselves included) eager to point out the flaws or sins of others, but not recognizing them in ourselves.

We can look at the blatant sins of Israel and think we really aren’t that bad.  We are in Bible study after all.  We are truly seeking God and we have a desire to follow His ways.  I believe that or we wouldn’t be spending our time here.  Here’s the thing – the people in Hosea’s time knew the history of their ancestors and heard firsthand the words of the prophets.  So why are they continuing down this path? Perhaps the things they are doing are so engrained in their culture and are so part of their “normal” daily life they don’t even recognize it.  I think there are a lot of similar things surrounding us today and we have to be deliberate in our search for the truth and not rely solely on what is acceptable in our surroundings, even among so-called “good” and “religious” people. 

Let’s also keep in mind the message to one of the churches in Revelation as a reminder to keep from being “lukewarm” and thinking we can do things on our own. 
“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:14-22)

When I read Revelation and the various messages to the churches, this message to the church of Laodicea is the one that I think many who are somewhat active in the church body may be most convicted over.  I know it is for me.  I get fired up over lots of things in my life, but am I as fired up (or more) for God and the things that matter to Him?  Being lukewarm to God is just as bad as being cold.  God wants us to be on fire for him….to be in 100% and not rely on ourselves. 

É       Spend some time in closing asking God to show you areas where you may be lukewarm.  Ask God to make you on fire for Him!




Verse 14 sums up the root of the issue at hand…”Israel has forgotten its Maker.”  God, please let us not forget you, our Maker.  Let us worship you and not things made by man.  Let us recognize and repent of things in our lives that need to change.  Let us not exhaust you or mock you in ungenuine love and just going through the motions.



End of week two.  Click here to go to the first section of week three.

No comments:

Post a Comment